Saturday, August 14, 2010

Karoshi?

Perhaps not many has heard of this word 'karoshi'. It's a Japanese word which spells what could be surfacing in Singapore nowadays or even in future. The definition is a simple three word : Death By Overwork.

Common word in Japan, there is no wonder why it is common in the first place. At times, it makes me ponder that we Singaporean working adults, do we work to live or do we live to work? I once remember when i was in Japan, I was in a coach with my tour group, on our way back to our hotel in Tokyo. There we drove passed the main city passing by roads and highway. Office buildings were all around at this particular juncture. I look at those buildings, it's brightly lit up as though it's in a day, inside those windows, I see nothing but workers still working their ass off. Time check on my watch: 9.05pm. Look around you in Shenton Way or Raffles or even any office building, are those sights starting to appear, or even perhaps, they had even appeared.

In the objective to be tip top in the global economy, the government constantly strive its agencies as well as private companies to push forward, even until now. So much so, companies started to realise its consequences. The realization of futility of not having a private life came to minds.

Work-Life balance came to light in Year 2000. Companies are said to answer to the government's call and implement the policy gradually. But guess what, behind the surface, all I see was dirty employers, un-sympathetic nor unempathetic superiors all around. Pathetic as it is, I'm totally disgusted by this fact. I hate how work is consuming in the lives of locals. Imagine this: You wake up early for work, by the time you end work, it's so late you decided to skip dinner, and the moment you reach home, you hit the bed as soon as you're done with your washing up. Until the next day arrives, the routine starts all over again. Come weekend, you have to be mindful of what's going to happen next week and perhaps even do whatever you need to do in order to prepare for the next new working week. Holy crap.

I always though public service was a much better environment when it comes to welfare and work-life harmony, but it seems like everywhere is the same. Perhaps, it's high time i think twice about it. I treasure my private life as much as i do treasure my own life/health. Work is endless, but i don't want to end my life because of work tooo...

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Life's An Endless Journey. Design by WPThemes Expert

Blogger Templates and RegistryBooster.