Tuesday, September 06, 2011

The Time Has Come

Now that the busy period is gone, I’ve finally put myself back to the crossroads, one where I was 5 months ago. This busy period made me learnt a lot, at the same time, it make me realize the unfeeling nature of people as well. I don’t deny the steep learning curve was tough, but I’m glad I made it, with much hindrance and difficulties. The nature of the job was demanding, it’s not the work that is tough, but more often than not, it’s the dealing with people that is tough. And just when you are trying to get your work done, you get people who doesn’t put themselves in your shoes and going around barking and interfering, which gets really annoying at times. Nevertheless, being where I am, I’ve pretty much learnt all that is required of me, afterall, NATAS is the only big thing of my current job, other than that, it’s repetitive.

The fact that the Human Resource back in the headquarters overpromising has led to the disappointment of many. To be frank, those accolades and awards given to them, are a vast difference and opposite of what are they capable (or rather incapable) of doing. The way they work, the way the function, doesn’t seems to tally with their objective, which of course, led to high turnovers, as always. Perhaps if this aspect is better, I would have give this position another positive go, but time has come for me to realize that, the clock ticks even though you’re unhappy. I have to move on, for the sake of myself and future.

Being where I am now, doesn’t equip me with sufficient skills and knowledge, especially not when I have very limited exposure. Imagine this – I’m my own manager, I’m my own employee and I’m my own middleman. How to learn this way?!??! The only time you know you’re wrong is when someone spotted the mistakes. The only time you know you’re right is when no one complains about anything (which doesn’t necessary equates to you being correct at all as well). Given this limitation, and the vast potential of the outside world, I’ve come to terms with myself to move on from here. 3 years++ in this company is not short, I’m glad to have been able to partake two roles operationally – being at the counter as a sales consultant with great colleagues and being back at the backroom doing marketing with boring and difficult people. I’m glad to have known and work with two different groups of people. Afterall, in this real world, you get to see all sorts of people. I won’t consider UOB Travel a fantastic company, but the culture here is different being outside at the frontline versus being on the backroom at the support stand.

My stint here is definitely memorable and fun-filled, despite the turmoil I’ve faced in recent weeks as well as during the beginning of it. Nevertheless, I am thankful for all the chances I get to travel and see the world (which I doubt I’ll have the chance to do so ever again), travelling to so many countries which is definitely the envy of others. Of course, not forgetting the great job satisfaction that I’ve gotten and this job here definitely helped carve out my direction as to what I want to do from now. As mentioned to many before, UOB Travel is just a stepping stone to me, and probably, I feel that it’s high time I step out of here, learn more and expose myself to more opportunities elsewhere.

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Life's An Endless Journey. Design by WPThemes Expert

Blogger Templates and RegistryBooster.