Friday, September 23, 2011

Boss or Dross?

Being in the working world for near 9 years accumulatively, I won’t say I’m very experienced but definitely, I know what it is like working. Looking at the intern just sitting behind me at work, as he is, being just a 19 year old boy, it wasn’t hard to feel how far I’ve come. I was taken aback when he told me being an intern in UOB Travel was the first time he actually worked. But the shock was dismissed as soon as I realize the reason behind it – he grew with a golden spoon.

Counting off hand, I have worked in at least 8 different jobs, with differing environments, I can safely say, I’ve seen most, in the aspect of how a boss/superior can behave, should behave and have behaved. I’ve definitely seen the worst (until someone else told me of their shit story back at work) and too, the best to me as well. To me, bosses are there to assist, empower his or her employees and getting involved in literally everything that is being done under his or her care. That way, respect is garnered, trust is built and naturally, the team will work in its utmost effectiveness.

Based on my experience, I would love to share some of the worst bosses I’ve ever seen, where I could really pin point their common ‘rubbish’ and of course, some of the best I’ve worked with. Based on my definition of boss, the worst one is definitely way off course to that, especially the one I am working for and under right now. All I see from this one is nothing but ‘blow cow (吹牛)’. A boss needs to give proper direction and follow it, but instead, this boss did the former but twist the latter. What’s the point of getting someone to do what you want when you are even unsure of it. Secondly, I’ve not seen a boss who behaves so pathetically. This boss of mine does and only DOES things that interest him. It’s like ‘I choose work to do as and when I want, not work choose me as and when it wants’. Oh crap. Imagine there are 10 responsibilities falling under your job scope, but because you prefer 2 out of the 10, you simply push the other 8 conveniently to your employees, who indeed feel empowered but ‘headless’ without direction. From this, I’ve seen the irresponsible side of him which utterly disgusted me. To me, a good boss praise when a job or task is done well, and correct when an error or mistake is made. It’s worse if a boss just pin point your mistakes and not praise you for your work well done, but it’s even WORSE when a boss doesn’t even bother to correct you. He even spit it right out from his mouth that he DOESN'T see or read what we did or sent him because it simply means nothing to him. Oh great! I foresee myself deteriorating under him, definitely.

To me, working is not just working. It's learning, gaining experience and exposure so as to better contribute to the company to get job satisfaction in return as well as self-grooming, bringing up your own value so as to move on with a better career prospects. But that is totally impossible if you find yourself stuck in a rut under one useless boss who, whole day does nothing but trying his luck on his 'experiments' in hope of success and there I am, one of the guinea pigs.

But then again, I always put myself in perspectives. Like many said, 做的好就留,做不好就走. I rather have myself seeking better opportunities than stuck in that rut. But on the contrary, I have been really fortunate enough to have work under good Boss.

Back in my army days, there is this superior, as much as her rank is many tiers higher than mine, she doesn't make you feel like she's your boss. Instead, she makes you feel you have to appreciate her every intention and instruction, making you feel WANT TO work harder not only for her, but myself too.

Until now, I cannot forget her motherly care as a boss, the patience she rendered while guiding me effortlessly and not forgetting her willingness to acknowledge mistakes and let me learn in my own way and my own pace.

Perhaps, it could be because she's a female boss. But in any case, our harsh and fast working society needs good boss. Bosses who really leads, guides and motivates, not for the better of the staff but more so for themselves and the company. Afterall, a sense of belonging and bond is what keeps employees and employers alike going. No one is superior in fact than another, one should act as though we can't do without anyone at all, that way, probably, working can be a wonderful joy

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Life's An Endless Journey. Design by WPThemes Expert

Blogger Templates and RegistryBooster.