Monday, September 12, 2011

Happy 'Meng Kwek' Festival

Happy Mid Autumn Festival to all my friends. The subject might struck a question mark on you. So allow me to let the cat out of the bag. I was shopping for Mooncakes with the girl one day and I have no idea why I said 'Meng Kwek' instead of mooncake and there you go, the girl keep on 'suaning' me, non stop of course (it's not as though she gets alot of chance to do so).

Nice enough, I went to re-structure my knowledge on this particular festival and found out various adaptation. But in any case, this festival isn’t just about Mooncakes and lanterns, but also the jade rabbit (which I came to understand its existence only recently). Till today, it wasn’t a festival that my family celebrated but rather we appreciated it. Since young (only when we are young), my dad would open the entrance door wide, so we would stayed up till slightly later and watch the moon.

Traditionally, MR also has the tradition of playing lanterns (or playing with fire by two arsonists) but as age and time gradually passed, this tradition no longer exist too. Last year was my first Mid Autumn Festival with the girl. I have no idea why, although we did not deliberately celebrate, my fond memories of those photo-taking along the river of Clarke Quay cast a great impression on me.

Perhaps, if Mid-Autumn Festival is a Public Holiday like what they had back in Taiwan, there will be more people appreciating this festival, gathering with loved ones, eating mooncakes, playing lantern and appreciating the beautiful full moon while remembering the story of Chang Er.

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Life's An Endless Journey. Design by WPThemes Expert

Blogger Templates and RegistryBooster.