Thursday, February 28, 2013

Gone Were The Days

As I began preparing for the most important day of my life, I can't help but venture my mind a little bit forward, beyond that, to imagine starting a family. The thought of having my own child makes me smile. Imagining how I would play with him or her, how I would shower him or her with tons of pecks and hugs or even getting him or her to sleep on top of me, that's definitely something that is heart-warming.

With that in mind, I yearn to give the best of everything in my best ability. But at times, I got discouraged. And it is such times that smashed my heart-warming thoughts away. 

I remember growing up in an environment where growing up is fun.I remember taking bus from Bukit Panjang to Singapore General Hospital on bus service 190, which is still operating the similar route now. Back then, seats were never an issue, and my father did not have to worry about my safety as I would be seated on the inside with him beside me. 

Reality hit me hard as I grew older. I see more and more foreign people. I see more and more accidents everyday. I witness how my favorite waffles increase its price by nearly 100%. Singapore now is no longer the Singapore I knew when I was young. When I was young, my teacher taught me about racial harmony, about the harmonious relationships we should keep among the 4 races. But now, I wonder what the school will teach my child/children in future. Is it going to be nationalist harmony, about having harmonious relationships with people from all over the world, like maintaining a good friendship with people from 8-10 countries?

That's beside the point. The point is, Singapore is no longer suitable for Singaporeans. In fact, anyone can be SINGAPOREAN now. So what if you are not a valid pure Singapore Citizen? As long as you managed to get pass that customs, you get to enjoy full fledged daily necessities at the same cost Singaporeans all pay. As such, the non-stringent 'checks' on potential visitors causes unnecessary troubles to our home land, resulting in gradual diminishing sense of belonging I once held dearly

Never mind if I'm suffering. Daily rants from me being late because of the inconsistent traffic conditions caused by numerous motorized vehicles on the road. Being a driver myself, I felt that this whole tax scheme placed via various methods on us drivers are indeed scheming. These schemes were never meant to be solutions but just a facade with hidden agenda. Working in the automotive industry makes me further realized how unfair the car purchase system is in Singapore.

What I am worried about is the uncertainty that future holds. Migration, which seems the most convenient way out of this deep well prove difficult because there are simply just too much at stake. Asking me to share with my foreign counterparts on how great Singapore is, how awesome the food here are, is like asking me to join a debate that supports the notion "Fried food is healthy". 

This uncertainty caused me to fear that my child/children will not longer to be able to enjoy the childhood I was enjoyed. Already technology has taken away a huge chunk of their supposed livelihood, and now, those uncalled for policies just further add to the wreath of their childhood. I just hope some day, some one or even some group is able to twist this whole idea, and make Singapore how we once hope and wish for.  

2 comments:

DoN ;) said...

Like they say change is the only constant. I doubt things will ever revert back to how it was back in the 80s or 90s. I totally agree how things were nice and simpler back then, but i guess if we want growth for the nation, we got to move forward and accept change. However, i think we should not be too negative about things. I am not saying we should accept everything, but in light of a better future, we have to give and take. Human beings after all are born to be adaptable. We and our children will be able to cope. We will get stronger and smarter. Stay positive! Happiness is in our hands!

KeLvIn said...

Thanks dude...agree with every single sentence you said. It's just that, we sometimes live in the 'if onlys' and forgot that the earth still spains...oh well, life goes on.

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Life's An Endless Journey. Design by WPThemes Expert

Blogger Templates and RegistryBooster.