Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Rainbow After Nightmares

Near two months into my job, I am indeed starting to get the hang of it, though the main bulk remains a short distance away. Being a marketer in UOB Travel, NATAS is seemed as a real test. Everyone in the company said, “You go through NATAS, you can handle everything”. As such, I can actually feel the pressure as NATAS starts drawing closer. Like each and every event I’ve known, the ‘behind the scene’ behind these events were never an easy job. It’s like a ‘台上十分钟, 台下十年工’ thing. You prepare months in advance, just waiting for that 3 days to be smooth sailing and over. Needless to say, the fruit of the seed is what I’m working towards, but the planting of the seed, growing of it through sweat and ‘blood’ is what I have to go through. Given the same ‘me’ few years ago, I would dread it happening. But the ‘me’ now is entirely different, I look forward to the stuff I get to learn, look forward to meeting more people along the course of this rough road.

I like what I’m exposed to and am actually happy to know what I’m in for. Never mind those possible sleepless nights, hectic days and what-nots. Doing what I’m doing now is never what I thought I will be doing when I’m young. Yet, this pursuance of this industry I called it, made me feel that the word ‘impossible’ is really never impossible. In where I am, I encounter lots of first times. My first time doing advertising, in print, online and even on radio. More interestingly, I’m even exposed to below the line advertising such as ATMs screens, SMS, mailers etc. Just take ATMs for example, it used to be just a plain machine where I draw my cash, something I wouldn’t want to visit so often (each time I visit, money is gone). But now, after learning what a ATM can actually do, from drawing cash, offering advertising at its most customized way, through the interactive screens we always see at the top of a ATM, I found myself in a amazed state. I was amazed to what marketing can do to people through even the most unexpected ways.

What’s a better learning tool than someone who is so experienced in the field itself. Meeting different people make me feel more absorbed in my work, allowing ideas to flow endlessly. I am not supposed to have my brain stuck in a jam, instead, given the environment, I am considered the soul of the department. I like how I am not restricted to a chair, a computer and a desk and off you work. I like how I can influence and be influenced by people in the most creative ways and learn through the craziest ideas I’ve ever encounter. I like how meetings can be so bombastic and insane that at the end of it, I turned inspired.

With NATAS just weeks ago, my role this time round is an entirely different side of the coin as compared to the previous ones. I left my shell of being the top sales person with a high job satisfaction to being a totally newbie in what I’m tasked for. This event means the world to me. It’s like my baby. Imagine you single-handedly plan for this event, with absolute no assistance. From booth design, to booth layout, to advertising, to co-ordination etc. I must say I look forward to my nightmares because I know after these nightmares lies a rainbow so colourful that I’ve been waiting for. =)

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Life's An Endless Journey. Design by WPThemes Expert

Blogger Templates and RegistryBooster.