Monday, February 07, 2011

Start of the Rabbit Year

Like every other usual Chinese New Year since years ago, I don't look forward to them. Everytime when this time of the year is nearing, they will always ask me what are my plans for my Chinese New Year, where will I be going etc. Each time, my answer will bring them an unexpected response. 'I don't celebrate Chinese New Year'. Not that I don't contact my relatives, but somehow, my family hardly visits.

Since years ago, it has been a common practise that my relatives gather at my aunt/my house (same block by the way) on the first day of Chinese New Year. And that's about the only time I met most of everyone. Other than that, my Chinese New Year will be rather quiet. Perhaps, as we grow older, such celebrations became mundane and boring, and perhaps that's also the reason why Chinese New Year public holidays were cut down to two days from three days.

The Lunar New Year atmosphere wasn't felt right until the very last moment. Our(the girl and I) visit to Chinatown was unfortunately quite boring, other than the fact it was squeezy with lots of people.

Everything got started on the eve of Chinese New Year eve. Mildred got back in time for our MR traditional reunion dinner. TOO BAD, silly ZhiQin was injured with four stitches which cause the rest of the MR members to swallow 1 red Garoupa, 1 butter crab, 1 crab bee hoon, 1 YuSheng and 1 KaiLan (with fly). We make sure we feel fat with a dessert treat @ Ice Cube where everyone can't stop laughing at Smell's Legendary Smell DIY Ice Cream. Finally, the working ones (Me and the girl) did something rare by staying out till late with a movie to sum up our MR outing.

By the time the next day arrives, it was definitely filled with the atmosphere. I can smell mandarin oranges, red packets, YuSheng etc.. Received mandarin oranges after mandarin oranges before I hit home for my own reunion dinner. Steamboat was the 'highlight' this year. As usual, we always had two rounds (excluding my weird brother). Rain was there to pour, stopping my dad's mood to visit River Hong Bao. Too bad. By then, I almost felt numb, knowing the fact that the next two days is going to be boring. Thankfully, I packed myself with Prison Break and Sudden Attack (A Cash bought, first time for Sudden Attack).

Lunar New Year arrives its first day. I woke up and Bai Nian with my parents without fail, a tradition I'm doing since young, thanks to their cultivation of this practise, which I am glad they did. Aunt came to visit with her family this year for lunch and kickstarted everything. I was bore by boredom the whole day until evening before my cousin, Ah Bear made the first ever Chinese New Year dinner for everyone, but, it's Vegetarian. That alone is enough to turn me off, but thankfully, it doesn't taste that bad. Everyone started pouring in before our annual cousin gathering starts. Lesser attendance than last year with a lousy this year. Talk about an even more proper planning in future. Ah Bear is tasked to take on the burden next year, finally I get to rest.

Second day was just as bad. I practically laze and throw the whole day away before joining the girl and her cousin for Butter Factory, which turns out to be a rather lousy experience because of the lousy music, BUT, somehow, the girls and guys there appeared to be more decent, appearance wise. (Seems like there's no good night outing this Chinese New Year).

My Chinese New Year starts on day 3, where the girl is here to Bai Nian. My sweet parents whipped up a meal for her. Had a sumptousy yummy meal before I had a wild time dancing to the 'the roof is on fire' song that keep her laughing out loud throughout. That aside, it was a crazy long queue @ Singapore Pools. I queue for whole half an hour only to place some bets wrongly, which make me pissed even until now, if not, I could have been richer, much richer.

Blackjack with my friends saw some luck. Perhaps it's home ground advantage =p
Most importantly, our BBQ session went smoothly as the looming of the cloudy weather were just passerby. I swore I feel damn fat and unhealthy after that BBQ session and guess what, I'm the biggest winner in Mahjong after luck. Seems like lady luck is shining of me this rabbit year.

Day 4. My visit to the girl house where happily, her mum decides to whip up some dishes instead of having steamboat. Her mum was known for her delectable cooking where I feel lucky to have tasted and eaten the cooking. Totally satisfying. Concluded my Chinese New Year visits at my colleague, Uncle Bruce house. He stayed in a 7-room HDB Flat (3 room + 4 room) which is awesomely huge. Had some gathering before it's Mahjong again. Can't deny I'm kind of hooked to it, and yet again, lady luck shone on me and my wallet turned slightly fatter!

And now, it's back to reality, where I'll be busy, nothing but busy for I can only expect roadshows after roadshows, bookings after bookings...May I hit top sales once again. HUAT AH!

On a side note, Happy 13th monthsary to you girl! Thanks for the 13 wonderful months you've given me. <3 id="gwProxy" type="hidden">

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Life's An Endless Journey. Design by WPThemes Expert

Blogger Templates and RegistryBooster.